Thursday, March 1, 2012

the phone call with my mother....

               So last night around nine I called my parents. I try to be a good daughter and call them at least once a week, so they know I'm alive. After talking with my Dad for a while he put my mom on the phone. As the conversation was coming to a pause my Mom said, "Hold on there's someone else on the other line." Now there's something you should know about my mother and that is she is technologically challenged. So when I heard she knew how to work call waiting, I was in shock.
            My mother still doesn't know how to program a vcr, put in a dvd to watch a movie, or work the sound system and now she knows how to work call waiting. I don't if I should proud, or surprised when I found out this news. She still uses a flip phone and has no idea how to use a computer. Let me clarify about the computer: she can do the basics such as writing an email and going to type a report on Microsoft word. I remember when my Uncle (her younger brother) told her she should set up a facebook account, so she can catch up with people she went to high school with. Oyy it still hasn't happened and it probably won't happen ever. My uncle has a facebook account, I'm not friends with, but I've seen his profile. I know my father has an account too, however were not friends either. I've actually blocked him from seeing my profile---not that there's anything bad on my profile. I don't think there is anyways. 
           Sometimes I think my Mom is better communicator than people who are so involved with technology. The truth is technology is a barrier for people to interact with one another because even though technology helps us communicate it also seperates us from interacting verbally from one another. I mean there's technology such as skype or oovoo that let people communicate face-to-face from different ends of the world, but is it the same as those two people having a conversation with one another in the same room? I hate to say it but its totally different. People now have virtual relationships with one another and they don't even have to be in the same room, let alone in the same country to have a relationship. Whar's next--virtual marriages? You can get married to someone from a different country over the web, that's kinda nuts in my opinion. People trust people way to easily these days, that's probably why I always have my guard up. I guess in a way I don't wanna be disappointment or hurt at the end day. That's probably why I have a few good friends than a ton of aquaitences that don't even like me and I probably can't stand either. I guess times have changed and things aren't like they use to be. In the end, it's an adventure and your along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment