Monday, August 5, 2013

Dove: to photoshop or be natural?

Just recently I read this article called, "Dove Canada Uses Photoshop Trojan Horse to Shame Potential Body-Shamers," I noticed it when the article appeared on my news feed on LinkedIn and it caught my attention. While I don't use any of the Dove products I think its great how the company, I think it is great how the company embraces the genuine beauty of women. As a curvy girl myself its hard in todays society to feel "sexy" when all the models in magazines and TV are super skinny. But over the years I've learned how to feel sexy in my own skin. The fact that Dove created a campaign that made women feel comfortable in the skin their in was a fabulous statement to prove to society that you don't have to be a size 2 to be beautiful. But just recently their Canadian campaign, has added a Photoshop action that makes part of the campaign's image fake. While I think its okay if you airbrush a zit, is it really okay to Photoshop/airbrush your entire body? Kind of an oxymoron? I don't know what to think, but I've lost respect for Dove and this campaign

No comments:

Post a Comment